Friday, January 23, 2009

ASTYM

I've been going to physical therapy for my leg three times a week since the beginning of January, and that is going really well; I'm SO glad I'm going. I can't imagine how many people suffer unnecessarily because their doctors don't refer them automatically. I had to ASK for it even though my surgeon knew I had been unable to bend my leg almost at all from August through all of November, and I have only been able to bend it 90 degrees since December.

My leg feels SO much better now, and even though a little tiny part about 1/4" x 1/4" is STILL not healed over, I was able to leave it uncovered even wearing pants for the first time yesterday without it burning. I slept without a hydrogel or other dressing on my leg for the first time last night since I had surgery on August 4! Woo-hoo!!

My therapist (Natalie) has been working on softening the scar tissue in my leg. She's doing something called ASTYM. I've only had two treatments of that so far but it has already made a world of difference! It is the most amazing thing I've ever seen since it doesn't seem like what she's doing would be enough to make any difference at all, but it DOES! (I go again this afternoon.)

After my very FIRST treatment on Monday, the tissue under the top part of my scar felt noticeably softer and after the second one, the whole thing feels almost normal.

http://www.saunders-therapy.com/astym.html

Basically they just put cocoa butter on my leg and scrape it with this hard plastic tool, not even very hard, and not for particularly long. I don't understand how it works but I am completely amazed at the results. I'm almost positive this will help prevent the swelling in my leg when I sit or stand too long, and my calf is staying more "stretched out" now instead of feeling cramped up.

There's a video of what they do at the link below.

http://www.performancedynamics.com/patients/treatment.asp

Talk to y'all soon,

Love,
Helen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Helen,

I am recovering from my ankle surgery now, but I have been thinking about you. I have had ASTYM is the past with great results. it really helps to break up the scar tissue. Do you have a facebook. If you do you need to add me as a friend, I have some old pictures that Mr. Werner posted that I want to send you. You are going to love them. If not send me an emial and i wil try to get them to you michallms@bellsouth.net Stay strong! Love Michelle Leonard Hall